One of my close friends confided in me that after being forced to shut down her business for three months she can't afford another forced shut down. Who can?
Fear will never get you anywhere. But boosting your immune system and being proactive can go a long way, especially these days. In this blog I want to share with you my top tips for getting your Immune System in tip top shape.
There are many simple things you can add into your daily routine to make being a healthy the easiest option.
With all the news and experts talking about COVID-19 it can seem like individuals are helpless. We're definitely not. It's about knowing what to do and then doing it consistently.
All of us are powerful. Your body is very resilient. When you give your body great nutrition and detoxify your system regularly, optimal health is possible.
Many of the practices I'm sharing I've done myself for many years. I've been doing Facebook Lives this week to share some of these tools in greater depth. You can follow my page Julie Brar Health Coach if you want to watch these videos.
1) Nutrition is where it all starts. Giving your body lots of vitamins, nutrients and phytonutrients is a way to help keep your Immune System functioning at its best. Aim to get 9-12 servings of vegetables and fruits a day. Add superfoods to your nutrition protocol to help bring more nutrients into your body. Most of us are deficient in essential nutrients, unfortunately. Aim to make nutrient density one of your top nutrition goals.
2) Load up on vitamin C and B vitamins. This helps give your body extra defences when there are viruses floating around. B vitamins also help manage stress and anxiety in your body. Vitamin C gives your body extra support when battling foreign invaders. Best foods for Vitamin C and B Vitamins are legumes (beans, lentils),
seeds and nuts (sunflower seeds, almonds) dark, leafy vegetables (broccoli, spinach, kale), fruits (citrus fruits, avocados, bananas).
3) Prioritize getting 7-10 hours of sleep. When you're sleeping that's when your body is doing all of its hard work. It's rebuilding tissue and your brain is removing toxins from the day. Sleep also helps reduce stress and inflammation in your body.
4) Laughter is great preventative medicine. According to the Mayo Clinic, the long-term effect of laughter is that it helps strengthen your Immune System. Apparently positive thoughts can actually release neuropeptides that help fight stress and potentially more serious illnesses. Watch a comedy, call a friend and have a laugh, or watch some stand-up comedy on Netflix. Laughter really is medicine!
5) Meditate. Meditation has been shown in study after study to reduce stress and inflammation. Anytime you reduce stress in your body, you boost your Immune System. If you don't already have a meditation practice this is the perfect time to start and there are several guided mediations available on Youtube.
6) Be grateful. Similar to meditation the practice of gratitude has been shown to elevate mood and reduce stress. It's a very simple practice. Grab a journal and every morning write down three things that you're grateful for. Do this for 30 days and watch how your life unfolds.
7) Wash your hands frequently to avoid spreading germs. This is a very important practice, especially now. If you haven't gotten into the habit of washing your hands, this is the time to start.
8) Gut health is one of the keys to Immune System health. Since 70% of your Immune System lives in your gut, making gut health a priority is hugely important to your overall health. Remove processed foods, processed sugars, fried food, red meat, eggs, dairy, GMO foods, chemical laden foods- all these foods are problematic for gut health. If you go through a round of antibiotics make sure that you're eating a variety of plant foods to nourish the gut microbiome. Removing chemicals out of gut everyday is also very important. I use a gut support that has been clinically proven to remove harmful chemicals like glyphosate and functions as a prebiotic and probiotic for the microbes in the gut. You can check that out here.
9) Manage stress levels. This is important at a time when freaking out seems to be the norm. However stressing out won't help the situation. Use meditation, breathing techniques, great nutrition, movement and sleep to help lower your stress levels. You want your immune system to be at its BEST.
10) Move your a$$! Movement is also a great way to help boost not only your immune system, but all the systems in your body. You don't have to run a marathon to move. Keep it simple. Go for a walk around the block, dance in your kitchen, do a yoga class... anything that speaks to you. Your body will thank you and you'll feel better for it!
If you're wanting to really focus on gut health here's a great immune health pack that can help you boost your immune health. Use the code balanceyourhealth to get 25% off.
You can create better health for yourself and your family. All it takes is simple daily action!
Photo by Jamie Street
Click for the details on my 5-Day No-Sugar Challenge that will completely reset your mind, body & spirit!
Drop your details below and I'll send you the 9 essential habits for a happier, healthier life. #7 will supercharge everything!